PAPER - I (Marks-100)
- Vectors - Dots, Cross and triple products, Gradient, divergence and applications.
- Newtonian laws of motion; conservation law of energy; conservation of linear and angular momentum; Dynamics of rigid body; spin and pie-cession; gyroscope; Gravitation; planetary motion including satellite.
- Special theory of relativity. Mischelson - Morely experiment and Einstein's postulates; Lorentz transformation; time dilation and length con traction; equivalence of mass and energy.
- Surface tension; Viscosity; Elasticity; fluid motion and Bernoullie's theorem.
- Free oscillation with one and two degrees of freedom; forced and damped oscillations and phenomenon of resonance. Travelling waves and transmission of energy; Phase and Group velocity; standing waves.
- Reflection, Refraction, Interference, Diffraction and Polarization of waves; interfero-meter and Newton's rings; Diffraction Gratings and their resolving power; spectro-meters. Electromagnetic wave equation: normal and anamolous dispersion; coherence, laser and its application.
- Perfect gas and Van der Waals equation; Three Laws of Thermodynamics, Thermal properties of Simple system production and measurement of low temperatures; kinetic theory of gases; Maxwellian distribution of molecular velocities; Brownian motion: Transport phenomena. Classical Maxwell -Boltzmann Statistics and its application: Quantum Bose - Einstein and Fermi-Dirac Statistics.
PAPER - II (Marks-100)
Electricity and Magnetism
- Electric field due to point charges, Gauss' law Electric potential and poisson and Laplace's equation Dielectric medium and Polarization:
- Capacitance; Moving charges and magnetic field Ampere's law; Vector potential; Magnetic properties of matter; Transient current: Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction; Alternating current and LRO circuit. Maxwell's equations; Poynting theorem and Poynting Vector.
- Thermionic emission; Space charge: Diode. Triode Tetrode; Pentode and their static and dynamic characteristics; Amplitude modulation and demodulation or detection. Various basic circuits for rectification, amplification modulation and detection connected with radio receivers and transmission; n and p type semiconductors; Biased function; Transistors; Common base and common emitter configurations.
- Bohr theory and quantum numbers including electron spin; Pauli's exclusion principle; Spectra of simple systems with one or two valence electrons. Photo electric effect Compton scattering; pair production; Lande's g factor and Zeeman effect. Rainan effect; Waves and particles and De Broglie's Hypothesis; Shrodinger wave equation and its application to one dimensional harmic oscillator. Heisen berg's uncertainly principle.
- Structure of Nuclei; Radioactivity infinity, beta and decay. Methods of detection, Mass Sepectrometer. Accelerators. Phenomenon of fission; reactor and nuclear power, nuclear fusion and its application. Elementary particles and their properties.
- Teacher: Prof Muhammad Khurram Farooqi